The Camping Quiz
Most of the information used to develop this quiz is from the Woodsman Guide Trails Guidebook
1. When hiking along road that is used by cars and trucks where should you hike?
a. On the left shoulder of the road facing traffic
b. On the right shoulder of the road along with traffic
c. On the shoulder on either side of the road is acceptable
d. Hiking along a roadway is forbidden in most states and provinces
4. When using a compass to navigate on a hike, what does the term declination mean?
a. Refusing to go anywhere because you are lost
b. The distance between you and the center of the earth
c. The degrees that the sun is above the horizon
d. The difference in degrees between true north and magnetic north
6. When lashing poles together to build a shelter, which knot is typically used to start and end the lash?
a. Double Half Hitch
b. Timber Hitch
c. The Duct Tape Twist
d. Clove Hitch
7. When caring for your Pocket knife, which one of these is NOT an important rule to follow?
a. Heat it up in the fire occasionally to keep it strong
b. Keep it sharp
c. Keep it clean
d. Avoid cutting into hard objects (nails or stones)
8. On level / smooth terrain an older boy can hikex
a. 6–7 miles an hour
b. 3–4 miles an hour
c. 2–3 miles an hour
d. faster than the bear chasing him
9. Which is NOT a good rule for hikers?
a. Bring plenty of water, sipping frequently, especially if you are sweating.
b. Always hike with someone, never separate yourself from the rest of the group
c. Don't stop to rest along the trail, your legs will cramp up.
d. Make sure your hiking boots are well broken in, and wear two pair of socks
10. When selecting a place to pitch your tent. which of these things is NOT a good idea?
a. Set your tent up within three feet of the fire pit so that you can keep warm at night
b. Look for the higher spot in the area to avoid sleeping in a puddle if it rains
c. If it is a windy area, point the opening of your tent away from the direction of the wind
d. Clear any rocks or sticks from the area where you plan to set up your tent
11. Open fires are a great way to cook your meals wile camping but what should you consider before planning on using an open fire for your cooking and warmth?
a. Call ahead to the area where you will be camping to see if open fires are allowed.
b. Make sure you understand where open fires may be used
c. Is the camping area under a high fire danger alert.
d. Is bringing along your own firewood allowed.
e. All of the above
12. New technology has been very helpful to campers. Which one of these things is NOT a result of new technolgy.
a. Very efficient /lightweight propane stoves for cooking
b. Lightweight, breathable, water resistant clothing
c. GPS location finders
d. Soap and toothpaste
13. Where would you go to get information about camping equipment and supplies
a. The internet
b. The sporting goods store
c. Camping Trade shows
d. All of the above
14. What do you do with camp garbage
a. Burn what you can and dig a hole and bury the rest
b. Pack it out
c. Bring along a goat to eat it
d. Put it in a bag with some rocks and throw it in a nearby lake or river and let it sink to the bottom.
15. When hiking, what should you do to make sure that you will be found if you are lost or hurt?
a. Tell family and friends exactly where and when you will be hiking, and sign in at the ranger station
b. Wear dirty / smelly clothes so the rescue dogs will be able to find you
c. Drop bread crumbs behind you as you walk along the trail
d. Rely on your good sense of direction and forget the trail markers
16. If you do get lost, what should you do?
a. Sit down and rest. Talk to God about your situation and pray for courage and a clear mind to do do what's best. Unless you are in a dangerous situation stay right where you are.
b. Shout or blow a whistle if you have one and then listen for any reply.
c. Prepare for staying overnight. Look for shelter from wind and rain. Look for a water supply. Collect firewood.
d. all of the above.